232
Alfred Louis Bernardin, II, entered the business in 1933, and he is now its
president. In 1948 a new and larger plant was built on West Maryland Street,
occupying ninety thousand square feet, to accommodate larger production and
afford manufacturing economies. Lithographing equipment and ovens were
installed for the coating and lacquering and designing of sheets of tin. Machinery
for manufacturing plastics caps was also installed. Recently some diversified
lines have been added, such as metal typewriter ribbon boxes, aluminum
containers for home freezing and storage of food leftovers, fabrication of
aluminum foil for household use, and other diversified products. The
employment currently averages approximately four hundred, and the products
of the Bernardin Bottle Cap Company, Inc., are shipped into the forty-eight
states.